Wednesday 20 November 2013

The greatest running songs of all time

Much to my coaches disappointment, when I run on my own, it's usually with an ipod.
I've logged a lot of miles in my time, and so feel I am well qualified to compile a list of the greatest running songs of all time - well the greatest running songs according to me anyway.

I'm not sure how many times I've listened to the following songs... certainly numbering in the thousands.

If you think I'm wrong, and can substitute something else, please let me know. I'd also love to hear your favourite running songs of all time too!

1. Girlfriend, Avril Lavigne.
What is not to LOVE about this song? The lyrics are brilliant, it's got a super fast tempo for helping nice fast leg turnover, a great film clip and it's by Avril Lavigne. WINNER! She also has great hair in this clip - added bonus.
In my life, there is probably not another song I've listened to more than this. I love it.

2. Untouched, The Veronicas 
Another poptastic killer tune. I've heard them called, "Australia's answer to Tattoo", these twins from Brisbane know how to rock. And listen to that beat. You can't listen to this on a treadmill and not get up to a speed of at least 17.

3. Pretender, The Foo Fighters.


Get ready to rock baby. Crank this tune and get ready to run your fastest 1km interval ever. Then get ready to vomit because you'll have gone so much faster than you ever imagined you could. Major bonus; Dave Grohl...so hot.

4. Embrace, Pnau
I love Pnau so very much. You could really insert so many of their songs here and I'd be ok with that. For example, Wild Strawberries, Baby, No More Violence are all great to run to.

5. Social Currency Children Collide
Rock out with yet another Aussie band. And check out the filmclip. Love

6. Let the Bass kick in Miami, Chuckie & LMFAO
Total trash, but it's a total work of genius.  LMFAO have a great talent for this kind of trashy yet great-to-run-to music.

7. Titanium, David Guetta ft. Sia


How to chose just one song by David Guetta for this list? I went for this one because it also features the amazing Sia. But really, if you want something new to run to, you could just download an entire David Guetta album. I saw him live in concert once. It was terrible. But he releases some great tunes that are best kept on your ipod.

8. I Love It, Icona Pop (feat Charli XCX) 
Just try putting this on your ipod, going for a run and then try to tell me you are still in a bad mood. It's just not possible.

9. My Delirium, Ladyhawke
This is a great song to keep your legs kicking over during the middle of a tempo run. Start listening, stop thinking, just go.

10. The Candy Man Sammy Davis Jnr
This may seem an unusual choice. It's not going to help you run faster per se. So save it for your warm-up or cool-down.
However, one year when I was battling through Sydney Marathon at about 35km, feeling like I was running backwards, this song came on my ipod and it made me feel so damn happy. I didn't do a great run, but sometimes that's not what it's about. It's to easy to forget that the reason we run is to be happy. This song helps more than a just little bit with that!

Happy listening.

And let me know some of your favourite running tunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment