Friday 29 November 2013

Inspirational Women Who Run.... Introducing Lisa Marangon


Always smiling and positive.... no matter how painful it is!
Lisa Marangon is an inspiration and certainly one of my personal role-models. Not only does she run a very successful business, but she is a single mum and an amazing professional triathlete. Just this year she's come 3rd at Ironman 70.3 Shepparton, 1st in the Murray Man Long Course triathlon, First at Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie, 2nd at Ironman 70.3 Yeppoon, 3rd at Ironman 70.3 Sunshine Coast, 4th at Ironman 70.3 Busselton, and 2nd at Huskinsson Long Course Triathlon. It's a pretty impressive CV. 

But what is most impressive about Lisa, is not just her talent as an athlete. It's her dedication, determination and her super positive attitude. This is one lady who, regardless of the setback, never, ever gives up. And she does it all with a huge smile on her face.  She is incredibly humble and her grace is inspiring,
I am so lucky and priviledged to be able to do what I do as I have such a strong support team behind me.
Her son Josh is an incredible young man. Well spoken, always well-behaved, he is the kind of boy that you hope that your son will grow up to be a bit like. 

Readers, please meet the amazing Lisa Marangon.

Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
I'm a single mother of a 13 year old, who runs my own business as a swim coach for triathletes.  I race as a professional athlete myself.

How did you get into triathlon? 
I watched some friends race in Ironman OZ in 2002 and wanted to do it the following year.

Eds note: I remember Lisa telling me that when she trained for her first ironman, in order to fit in some of her rides, she rode with her son in a kid's seat on the back of her mountain bike.  That's incredible dedication! 
Perhaps because she is too modest, what she doesn't mention here is that in her debut Ironman at Foster in 2003 she won her age group (20-24), and came second in her age group that year at Kona in the Ironman World Championships. It just goes to show that there are no good excuses, and that dedication and determination pays off.

What is your greatest achievement in triathlon so far?
I would have to say when I won my first ever half Ironman in Busselton in May 2007. I had come off my bike 10 days prior to the race and had fractured ribs. I not only won but broke the course record.

What do you find hardest about racing and training?
Trying to organize for myself as well as my son. Being a single mum I can’t just get up and go wherever I want to!

I think that you are probably the most determined person I know. How do you stay so motivated? What drives you?
I set myself goals and I know that if I don’t fully commit to those goals, I won’t get the results I want. 
I have had to experience low points in order to get up and move forwards.
I am also so passionate about what I do.
It's all about the learning ....to make sure I stick with what works, and correct what doesn't. Every training session, every race I do I gain more and more out of myself and constantly keep learning new things. 
How have you balanced being a single mum, being a coach and trainer, and a very successful racing career?
Being organized and making sure I stick to a schedule and routine.

What’s the thing that you are most proud of?
Raising a child is, and it's still is the best experience in life. There is no textbook on the right way; it's about the different choices that you have to make everyday. It's incredible seeing how you can change a person's life and help them grow into the person they are.
My son Josh gives me more reason to achieve my life goals than anyone else. I want to make him proud of me and I want to be a good role model for him. I did however ask him if he talks about me to his friends at school and he said that he would get bagged out about it. It means so much to me that he understands now why I do what I do and he supports my passion for this sport. He is my angel and sometimes when I am in doubt I think of him and he gives me strength, especially when he isn't watching me race in person.
What’s next from here? What are your goals for the coming season and beyond?
I am stepping back into ironman and starting off with Ironman Western Australia in December. 
I believe that I can be a world champion one day and I will do whatever it takes.

What advice would you give someone trying to make the leap from age-group athlete to professional?
Enjoy the journey, learn from your mistakes and be the best you can be all the time.
You can read more about Lisa here. You will be inspired! 

Good luck in Ironman Busselton Lisa!!

2 comments:

  1. Great article Jane. Talent takes you so far. Hard work the rest. Lisa is a wonderful example of coordinated discipline. We are our own limitation. I hope Lisa's example gets people to actively participate in their own lives.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Tim. Lisa shows that it's all about believing in your self and then following that belief with consistent training and effort. There are no short cuts, just hard work. As I think Lisa herself has said, "dedication, determination, belief".

      Delete