Tuesday 19 November 2013

Romantic dinner for two

Sometimes, with a toddler, it's all too easy to get stuck in a rut and not appreciate the time that you have together. (Though the same could be said of having a child / spouse / friend .... )
And so sometimes, I try to turn things that we do everyday into special occasions (That is, when I a) remember, b) have the energy, and c) am not glued to my iPhone.... bad mum!)
For example, last night, Henry and I had a romantic dinner for two.
I cooked a nice dinner (broccoli, cauliflower and white bean soup - healthy if not fancy), we lit a candle, put on some dinner music (Down to the Sea & Back, Compiled by Balearic Mike and Kevin Andrews - I bought this on my honeymoon at one of my favourite stores in Paris - Colette, it's a great CD for dinner parties because it is so damn cool.)
I even go as far to put a serviette on Henry's lap and call him sir.
Henry told me dinner was "very nice. I like it". We discussed what he learnt at Chinese class (中文课)。
He thinks these occasions are fun, and I think it helps him learn table manners. And as an extra bonus, he ate vegetables!
I'm wondering, do you do things like this with your children or significant other? How do you make everyday special? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments: