Saturday 28 September 2013

Weird things about Germany

This is my fourth time visiting Germany; I've been to Munich, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, and now Berlin.

Here are some of the things that strike me as odd about the place;

Beware of obstacles when in the park; good to know
1. The fascination with Italian food; I like pasta as much as everyone else, but 2 out of 3 restaurants seem to be Italian. Why?

2. It's freezing cold, yet Germans are sitting outside, on the footpath at cafes, drinking their coffee or wine. I'm wearing a singlet, two long sleeve shirts, a leather jacket, and I'm still freezing my butt off. How are you not all in danger of death by exposure?

3. There seem to be hardly any children around - a very occasional baby in a stroller, but otherwise, I've not seen a single child in a cafe, or any of school age out-and-about. Where are all your kids? And yet, dogs go with you out to dinner on Friday night.

4. Following on from #3, given that your children are elsewhere, why do so many of you eat dinner so early? I know it's cold (though you don't seem to care about this anyway), so why then is it dinner at 5.30 / 6, or 7pm at the latest? You apparently don't have kids to worry about people, get out and have fun!

The ultimate in cutting edge (German) fashion; the onsie!
5. How is the German economy doing so well? The shops seem to hardly even be open, and even when they are open, lots of shop assistants are quite surly.

6. (Outside of Dusseldorf) given the amount of sausages, pork knuckle and pasta that you eat, why are you not all huge? (Dusseldorf was the exception; there were lots of larger proportioned people there.)

7. Why do you all seem to ride bikes like maniacs on the footpath, yet if you are in that much of a hurry, you very rarely jaywalk, and never press the "close door" button on the lift. It makes no sense.

8. Perhaps it's my "Australian prudishness", but I must say, I was shocked when I saw 100s of people getting massages at the Marathon expo yesterday, totally out in the open, wearing just their undies - even a woman in leopard print knickers. Is this because of your body confidence, or you just don't care? It's just not that pleasant for anybody.
Sausages.... 
However, despite (or perhaps because of?) all these peculiarities, I'm having an excellent time!




No comments:

Post a Comment